The Toastmaster’s Promise
Parramatta Toastmasters Club is such a diverse and fun club that on a night like 15 August 2013 when we are hosting the Humorous Speech Contest, it was not a complete surprise to me that the question sparked in my mind, why do people join and continue to attend our club?
I guess in reality most of us when we first visited, liked what we saw and continued to come back we probably had just one or two driving reasons.
But coming to meetings regularly for me has meant that I soon found out that I was getting far more out of Toastmasters than I had ever hoped for.
To me, the key to my success in Toastmasters and the clue as to why the program works, lies in the Toastmaster’s Promise that we pledge the day we are officially inducted into the club.
When I joined Parramatta Toastmasters in February 2008, Kirsten Linklater was our club President, Wikrom Tang our VPE and Kris Venugopalan our VPM and I remember it like it was yesterday. Do you remember the people that were there for you when you gave your pledge? More importantly, do you remember what you said? Here is a refresher…
As a member of Toastmasters International and my club, I promise:
* To attend club meetings regularly
* To prepare all of my speech and leadership projects to the best of my ability, basing them on projects in the Competent Communication, Advanced Communication or Competent Leadership manuals
* To prepare for and fulfill meeting assignments
* To provide fellow members with helpful, constructive evaluations
* To help the club maintain the positive, friendly environment necessary for all members to learn and grow
* To serve my club as an officer when called upon to do so
* To treat my fellow club members and our guests with respect and courtesy
* To bring guests to club meetings so they can see the benefits Toastmasters membership offers
* To adhere to the guidelines and rules for all Toastmasters educational and recognition programs
* To maintain honest and highly ethical standards during the conduct of all Toastmasters activities.
You can see how we are a club of excellence and how we keep the promise alive and well in all the big and the little actions taken as part of our day to day operation.
Respecting and honouring our Toastmaster’s Promise means that our members grow, our guests are impressed and we are admired by fellow Toastmasters from other clubs, Areas, Divisions, Districts and in the world stage for our commitment to quality and for producing results.
Aside from the Toastmaster program and being an active member of a Toastmaster’s Club being good for your career, good for your confidence, good for your ability to think on your feet, to speak more effectively, to develop your leadership skills and become a better listener, Parramatta Toastmasters is FUN.
Ask any of our Toastmasters what keeps them coming back and they’ll tell you it’s the fun; good old fashioned fun from real live human interaction; fun that surpasses the kind of experience you can have in front of a TV, or computer or at a pub. Our contestants in tonight’s humorous contest were a window into some of that great fun. Congratulations to Michael, Ron and Monique. If you are reading this but have not yet visited us, I suggest you put a note on your calendar right now. Just come along and check us out. Toastmasters is a brilliant way to spend a Thursday evening once a fortnight, we promise! Checking us out will cost you nothing but time, so come!
Member of Parramatta Toastmasters Club since 2008
Held Club Officer Roles of Secretary, Vice President of Membership, Vice President of Education and current Club President of Parramatta Toastmaster
Attended all Annual Conferences in her District, 2 International Conventions and all Club Officer Training sessions.
Was part of the Train the trainers program and ran sessions for new club officers for her District.
Presented an Educational Session at the Semi Annual Conference in District 70 in November 2010.
Is an active member of 3 clubs across three Areas and has won club contests in all four competitions (Table Topics, Humorous, Evaluation and International Speech Contests). Won area contests in Evaluation and International Speech Contests.